About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Tuesday, 7 August 2012

The Secret is Exercise!

Went out for a second run today with the girls. Another 25 mins interval training, total of 18mins actual jogging! I know - 18mins! I am well proud of myself!

Then, just to be solid, I came home and did a 20 minute express kettlebell workout! My wee arms were aching trying to dry myself after my shower. Think I'll be feeling this heavily tomorrow :s

I am genuinely enjoying going out and doing the running again. I had tried it before (as my avid blog fans will know) and attempted to follow the NHS couch to 5k programme, but I never got past week 5 when it is up at the 3x5mins level - could never, never, do the last one! But being out with the girls we are currently running 2x4mins, then 2x3mins, then finishing on a 4min - I never thought I could manage that! Running with others definitely pushes you a bit harder, you don't want to be the one to give up, to slow down, and it turns out I can push through those last few minutes.

So tomorrow is most certainly a rest day, then we are running again thursday after which I am back into pole class.

Hate to say it, but this exercise thing is alright!

No comments:

Post a Comment