About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Tuesday, 18 February 2014

The wonders of technology!

Hi there!

This,very early morning blog comes to you courtesy of Google tablet, complete with scrolling finger keyboard!

I wanted to take a minute and talk about technology. And the uses it has in modern diet and fitness goals. I woke at 5.30am this morning, for whatever reason, but had no desire to get out of my bed. So I switched on my tablet, recently donated to me by my Papi (the father).

Within 20-30mins I knew the following:

1. Paula Walker and Gillian Cooke are in action for Great Britain in the women's bobsleigh today in winter Olympics.

2. The Scottish government is being given the power to issue its own bonds, the UK government has announced.

3. That several of my "friends" like to say "goodnight" to their fellow facebookers

4. That one of my fav authors; Oscar Wilde, had something to say about women.

Technology is probably one of my favourite things in the world. I don't have the money or desire to have the biggest latest craziest gadget out all the time, but I have no fears of the cyber world. I take precautions and embrace the unknown. Hence my blog, Facebook, Instagram and pin interest addiction. I am also on my phone constantly and my new tablet toy will probably make things worse.

But my lying in bed (now 6.33am) and catching up with world events and social gossip did get me thinking about the use of technology in weight loss. I blog about it sure but that is not prescriptively what blog spaces are for: a market as profitable as the diet sector cannot have been missed by developers.

In fact if you search for "diet apps" on Google play you are displayed with 250 options. 250 different apps offering a range of support: from individual plans such as Dukan or Caveman, to hints and tips to receives to detoxes. A range of price too: many are free (but flood with adverts) to a few £££s. None are particularly expensive as a result of a flooded and easily accessible market. Choice and potential value for money is high! I found similar results for "fitness", "weight loss" and "healthy eating".

I am also aware that slimming organisations such as weight watchers also have apps for their members. Giving them instant access to trackers, plans, recipes, support, instructions and advice.

Right now all I'm doing is calorie control. I know that's not always enough but I've decided to start with the NHS 12 week plan were you build skills and knowledge slowly. In order to count my calories I am using an app (application or programme for those who don't know which are accessed on smaller devices such as a tablet or smartphone) called myfitnesspal, it's fairly basic but has a big database of foods. It also tracks any exercise you do and your weight. I honestly would struggle with simple calorie control without it.

There's 31kcals in my coffee with milk for example...who knew…?

I also have an app called workout couch which has a variety of exercise programmes. This is great if I'm unable to get to a class. I need instruction or I'm lazy so this app ensures I don't slack.

Theoretically weight loss should be easier and cheaper. Problem remains though: there isn't an app that stops me putting food in my mouth. Damn!




Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment