About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Sunday, 28 August 2011

Zumba Maddness and the Joys of Baking!

It's all about being proactive! I got fat because I got lazy - I choose to buy a pre-made sandwich at the deli counter because I am too lazy to make my own, I choose a ready meal or take-away because I can't be bothered cooking, and I choose the car wash because I am too lazy to wash the car!

Oh wait - and I live in Scotland - which means that the rain never stays off long enough to let me do it - but you get the jist of what I am trying to say!

The last few weeks I have weight gains and tiny losses - because I am reverting to the old me, the lazy me - that's why I joined e-source, because I am on my computer every day - but I can still be proactive!

So today was my 1st WHOLE day off work (I do a lot of split shifts) in 14 days! The old me, the lazy me - would have went on the bevvy last night and had chinese or chips, kebab sauce, cheese and donner meat (yes - all together!) and lay in bed watching films!

The new me - the PROACTIVE me - signed a tuck-in shift last night, which meant working till 11pm - rather than going out for the sake of going out! The new me, the PROACTIVE me - had her well deserved lie in but also went to the latin exercise class known as ZUMBA 3-4pm! 5 activity points, thank you very much!

And I didn't stop there - the new me, the PROACTIVE me - nipped into the local Lidel and picked up the ingredients for the Iced Banana Mini Muffins (recipe on request) and made them after dinner! A giant mug of tea - 1 muffin (2pps) later and you have one content lady!

Long may the PROACTIVE me continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment