About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Monday, 31 October 2011

Best Weekend EVER!

Well - haven't I just had the most mental, roller coaster of a last few days - its been unbelievable!

First of all I WI on Thursday - first since I got back from my holiday so roughly 2 weeks  - 4 wonderful pounds off! I only put on 5 so 4 off is super-dooper! Best Thursday EVER!

Then on Friday I get a call from my new boss in my new job - which I have known that I have for well over 4 weeks! Red Tape, disclosures and paperwork contracts - nightmare! So, anyway, she calls me to tell me that we are good to go and when do I want to start! So 1 week today I will be starting my new job as a social worker! Best Friday EVER!

Then on rolled the weekend! Now - I know that I am a 25 year old woman but I probably look forward to the Halloween weekend second only to Christmas (and my birthday). I love getting dressed up!! I love seeing everyone else dressed up! I think its so much fun, and I laugh more than all the other weekends put together!

As you can see from my get-up I was Jackie Sparrow - that's Captain Jackie Sparrow to you - and I was the s3xiest pirate who ever sailed the seven seas. I looked great and I felt amazing! Even at my biggest Halloween has always been fun simply because you don't have to look sexy!

So me and my trustworthy crew (consisting of an ompa lompa, a 1930s show girl, hannibel lecter, a firewomen, snow white and mechanic) set out on an adventure of a lifetime, drank copious amounts of rum and fraternized with the land-loving population! We had a super awesome time and I am reminded about the amazing friends that I have around me! Best Saturday EVER!

And finally we come to Sunday - where I lay on my friend couch allllll day - literally alllll day! I only moved to pee or to get food! Points.........pfffft......lets say about 4000! Best Sunday EVER!

So now Monday is drawing to a close and I get a chance to think about how lucky I am to be surrounded by genuinely good (most of the time) people! My friends and family are (most of the time) absolutly fabulous! They pick me up - they dance with me - they tell me to stop being a mean drunk - they get me drunk - they get emotional at the thought of me moving away (an hour and a half in the car) - they tell me to stop getting emotional over moving away - they support me - they show me love, tough and otherwise - they tell me off and they hug me when I need it (or even when I don't ask for it! or want it! Yes Jo I am talking to you!)

This weekend - my impending move to another part of the country - my new career starting has left me with a rollercoaster of emotions! One minute I am excited the next I get a lump of fear and anxiety in my chest! I start to panic, to analyse, to plan - then I tell myself to remember Thailand - that planning isn't always necessary and that sometimes you have to go with the flow!

When I was in Thailand I met an amazing artist who did beautiful paintings on cloth with motivation messages. I bought one which had this saying:

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about dancing in the rain"

and I am going to dance, with my friends dancing right beside me!

No comments:

Post a Comment