About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Saturday, 24 March 2012

Getting to that fed up stage where I really can't be £$+??!!*

I am totally and utterly fed up, once again, by the way I look and the way I feel as a result. I am fed up watching T.V and seeing beautiful but genuinely really stupid people get romance, excitement, fun, adventure, praise...for WHAT!? For being stupid and shallow but with a great body!?

Take embarrassing bodied per exampleur, Dr Hunky was in Ibiza doing free STD tests on the beach (well in a tent...not like right there on the beach...) and the general attitudes of these girls and guys...O.M.G!
Now, I am in NO WAY a prude, and I enjoy a good holiday one-nighter as much of the rest of them, and yes, I am fully aware that these idiots will be playing up a little to the cameras. The reason I got annoyed was because I could not take me eyes off of them, and I am talking about the girls.

My friends are settling down, having babies, living with boyfriends or falling away. I feel like I am at a really delicate phase in my life and I don't have special people to share it with. I understand that there is an element of moving on, growing up. And I know that I have moved far away from my friends...

I don't know what's going on with me right now. I just feel so lost.

I hate the fat...hate it. But what I do know is that my body size or shape doesn't affect my friendships, or my personality - not completely. I know that my perception of my body is hugely influenced by the world I live in, the media atrocity that is modern UK society. Stupid shows like Take Me Out, The Love Machine...have you seen those girls. They are even worse than celebs and glam models, because they are real. They are real life breathing girls who are walking down a main street near you. How do you compete with that?

I just don't know if my heads in the weight-watchers game anymore. I eat things I know I shouldn't, I feel guilty all the time, I think about food ALL the time. I just don't know where my mojo or willpower has gone recently :((

1 comment:

  1. Everyone feels lost now and again honey, what matters is that you feel happy with yourself no matter what, so focus on that and the rest will follow, you are so close to your goal and dont you worry about the romance side of things, you are going to find a guy who will treat you like the princess you are! xXx

    ReplyDelete