About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Monday, 10 June 2013

First official week of reflection!

So as usual I am little bit slow in the get up and go when I am starting a new routine/plan/strategy for weight loss or exercise!

Most people feel all ready and get stuck straight into their new routine. Most people tell me that the first week of their new routine is the easiest because they are full of motivation and get up and go! But as with most things I differ from the norm and actually find the first week or two of a new routine the hardest. I feel as though I am given up EVERYTHING in that week that I like. Chocolate, crisps, chips (I see a pattern) and my time....all this exercise where is my time to relaxxxx!??! 

So I don't see the point in telling you guys how not great I am doing in that week or two. I have the odd cigarette, I have the odd takeaway, and usually quite a lot to drink!

But I have had a really good week recently, and I've managed to stay the course (more or less), so I feel ready to start sharing.

I haven't really focused on my diet too much this week as I've just been concentrating in getting into a solid routine with exercise. Last week I did a triple 20 class on Tuesday, pole class on Wednesday, spinfit on Thursday, rest day Friday - albeit lots of ab work outs through laughing with the girls, 20min run plus outdoor abs/arms workout Saturday, rest day Sunday and 20mins kettlebell workout Monday.

I'm also looking ahead and one thing I do want to try and do is perform in the pole show in October. However, there is NO WAY I am doing it unless I am A - amazingly good and B - amazing good looking! So I have booked into pole workshops in the future and I'm going to try a flexy stretchy workshop to try and really develop as a dancer!

This week I am going to focus more on my diet (it's supposed to rain this weekend so no double barbeques for me!) Not really sure how I'm going to go about this yet - just going to try eat less junk and no carbs in the evening. Maybe need to have flick through my fitness magazines for some inspiration.

anyways:

Weigh in Wednesday - here's hoping!!

*sips her green tea*

No comments:

Post a Comment