About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Monday, 7 October 2013

INCREDI-POLE!

Well...yes again I need to apologise once more for lack of blogging, I've been THE busiest person on earth recently. I have finally moved house - OMGoodness could that have been more stressful!

Uch, anyway between that, having no internet (from the moving) and being unwell blogging has been low on the list.

However, I must, MUST, tell you all about what I am pegging as one of the best experiences of my life. On Sunday I took part in my first pole dance performance as part of Team PB Dance and Fitness. I danced to Alex Clare, Too Close.

I was a nervous wreck. Sunday all day I wandered about the house, I couldn't eat, I was nervous, felt sick, needed to pee, couldn't pee. The whole day was terrifying.

But standing side of stage, a few deep breaths, and suddenly all the nerves, all the shanks, all the worry just left my body. It was like I had physically accepted what was about to happen to me. Like I knew that everything was going to be ok.

And it was. I didn't have the fanciest routine, the sexiest, the most technical. But it was mine, it flowed, and it was flawless. I nailed my moves, had one wee slide that no body noticed (looked like part of the act and I managed to recover). I smiled the biggest smile of my life, the adrenaline was phenomenal. I felt like the sexiest, most beautiful woman in the world.

accomplish everything without fear! Tattoo on my back!
And the motivation I feel is tremendous. I am desperate now to push on with pole, to really practice, to really work hard. I want to nail moves, new moves, harder moves. I want to be stronger, be sexier. I want to enter competitions, and I want to show the world that there is finally something I can do!!

I am so proud of all the girls, of everyone who took part, and to the girls who supported by coming to see the show (and for cleaning the poles in between as that took a mega toll of their poor feet!). My family and friends who came to watch.

But I am so proud of myself. For facing another obstacle. For accomplishing something without fear!

No comments:

Post a Comment