About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Thursday, 2 January 2014

Happy New Year!

I love Christmas, I adore the shopping, the panic, the tree, the food, the frenzy. I love watching people open the presents I've thought hard about with great joy, and I love receiving my own presents, symbols that others have thought long and hard about me to.

Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365 page book; write a good one - Brad Paisley

 The journal of clinical psychology has listed the top ten resolutions for 2014, and at the top of the list: Losing weight. In fact on average 38% of people who make resolutions will aim for weight loss, and of all this who make any resolutions only 8% will see them through.
 
8%...pretty small chance.

For the last 5 years or so I have probably made weight loss my resolution. Yet as I weigh in for 2014 I am once again heavier than I have ever been. It's quite dismaying at times, still feeling horrid about my appearance, looking bad over the improvements I've made, and the lags I've went through. Looking through the blogs, the pictures, the victories and the defeats and here I am, heavier than ever, once again.
My New Year Resolution List usually starts with desire to lose between ten and three thousands pounds" - Nia Vardalos

This year however, I will not be deterred, I don't see the last 5 years as failures, I can't. If I do then I'll never see past it. I love new year as much as I love Christmas. I had a wonderful time celebrating with my friends and family. I  brought in the bells with a Bacardi, with a kiss, and auld lang syne ringing in my ears. My plans were set, meals prep and detox were going to take place over the 5 days holiday that I have, kettlebells were set up for the launch into the exercise programme with the manfriend, all was ready!

Then the worst possible thing ever - I have been stricken with the dreaded flu-like lurgy. I'm loaded with the cold and have been holed up on the couch for 2 days now. I did manage to drag my butt off the couch long enough to shove a chicken in the slow cooker for me and manfriends first health dinner. Today I haven't eaten, well I've had two chocolate biscuits, and I think I'll hit the lentil soup later. I wanted to get this done, for sure, because the blog is going to be an integral part of the 2014 resolution.

Look out 2014 - check me out! Here I come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment