About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Monday, 12 September 2011

“Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” - Helen Keller

the pout is on purpose!
My last blog may have had...well a hint of depression. I was so frustrated and upset last week it was atrocious!

However, I went out for the 1st part of my birthday celebrations on Saturday, surrounded by good friends and looking rather fabulous is my little black dress (if I do say so myself!) and I realised that at times life is going to throw curve balls at me and eating is not the way to overcome these things!

When I saw the quote from Helen Keller - an American educator and author who was both blind and deaf - it really spoke to me! Things in life are not going to come along without any work on our part, good things don't come to those who wait! You have to want, go out and get and most of have faith that you will!

I have pretty low self esteem - until I have a few drinks - with my inhibitions sufficiently lowered I strut myself and chat to guys without any reservations. I truly believe I am beautiful!

What I need to do is channel those feelings into my everyday - have faith that I will get to the size, shape and weight that I want to and deserve to be! I am worth all this hard work - I am worth the cheese ban, the sweat at the gym, the change of lifestyle! I have to believe it!!

So today I took 2 WWmagazines and I stuck my face over the cover girls! They are proudly pinned up on my door in my room so everyday before I leave I look at them and say - that is me!

My goal is no longer a weight or a size - its to feel confident every day! It's to get on the cover of the WWers magazine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment