About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Thursday, 16 February 2012

An End of Day Quickie!

Well its twenty to five, I'm alone in the office and if I do say so myself I have worked pretty dam hard today. SO I figured I'd take the last 30mins to read some blogs I've missed, due to several late nights in a row.

This week has been....(sitting thinking of the right word) I don't really know how to describe it, I haven't been particularly bad, nor particularly good either. Had a terrible night out, and according to my tracker I am in negative points, so I ain't expecting miracles this week at WI. But tbh I am not too upset about it, I made a mistake at the week and I plan to get weighed, forget about last week and move on.

I have been a bit all over this place due to evening activities. Monday I had a late meeting in Glasgow so had no dinner till 8.30pm which I hate doing (I genuianlly rarely munch after my tea, never after 7!!) and then Tuesday I had some pasta quickly before heading off for my first night as a guide leader (I know how exciting right!!).

This week I have been having some problems with the bathroom (and I don't mean I'm trying to grout the tiles :s) prob should have put some sort of poo warning in the blog title like cookie_lou does...sorry!

But things aren't moving well (put it politely). I have long standing issues with the bathroom, but my recent attention and improvement in my diet has meant I was not as reliant on medication. Seems we're retracting (sorry...) slightly and I have been to doc for fibergel (yuck!). Thing is when I do feel like this...I hate eating. I have no appetite and can't be bothered with anything in particular. I just want quick, easy and light...resulting in an over reliance on toast!

But tonight I am doing my 1st run in 2 weeks, had to stop due to the worst cold I've had in a looong time. So hopefully that, along with the medicine, and a less hectic schedule will help re-start (I know, but its true!!) things!

Although saying that I may be putting a deposit down for a flat tomorrow...can't see the hecticness (is that a word) lessening any :o its all very grown up!!

Will let you know how WI goes etc...just wanted to kill some time before work ends!

Actually just realised this is my 50th blog post....do I get a star or something

No comments:

Post a Comment