About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Sunday, 21 October 2012

Plans, Goals and Haribo!


So it's the 2nd day of the recent quit attempt and we're also encroaching onto the scary countdown I-must-get-into-that-amazing-dress-for-Christmas (9 weeks people - 9 weeks!!). So as I venture into the world of quitting smoking and trying to get thin I figure I need a logical approach, a plan of action.

Now having completed several failed quit attempts I do at least have the knowledge of what doesn't work. Trying to put away £5 a day which I would smoke, doesn't work - i am still skint and resent being skint whilst not at least engaging with my addiction. Trying to eat every time I want to smoke, doesn't work - I just end up fat. Trying to replace cigarettes with exercise, doesn't work - I ended up with bursitis in one knee and almost lost a relationship. Trying to blog daily, doesn't work - as you can tell from my extensive two year blog which resulted in me returning to cigarettes and ignoring the blog.

So I'm going to try a combination of the above. My terms, achievable goals, and an achievable plan.

The plan: Save up £1 for every smoke free day I have.
The plan: Lose 1lb a week until Christmas.
The goal: Look fabulous 9lbs lighter and in a smoking hot dress purchased with my cigarette money (see picture).

The plan: Gentle regular exercise to a) help lose the weight b) gain fitness and c) motivate me to stay off of cigarette.
The goal: Look fabulous 9lbs lighter and more toned in smoking hot dress (see picture 2).

The plan: Blog regularly when I can about how I am feeling.
The goal: successful negotiate the quit attempt and lose weight.

The plan: successfully lose 9lbs and stop smoking....

The Goal: be a fitter, happier and healthier me!
(and to own that dress!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment