About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Monday, 15 July 2013

oh dear...little motivation = fat belly and no blogging

Ok, Ok, I admit it - I'm a terrible blogger. Truth be told my motivation has been so low these past few weeks I've pretty much been too unmotivated to even wash a dish never mind blog. On top of that I've still been smoking, which has crushed my confidence (and ego) again.

In better news I have been offered a new job closer to where I lived, and where I plan to move back to. This move will be permanent for me, so I am thinking about getting a gym membership, especially as the winter months roll in. However, as a result of this amazing exciting news I've also spent most of my free time packing and moving unnecessary household items, which has resulted in me collapsing in bed at the end of the day and getting up to do it all over again.

Anyways excuses aside I have started to make some movements towards getting back into the swing of things. I went to spin fit last Thursday, first time since before my tooth operation (had wisdom teeth removed so missed a week of exercise which somehow has rolled into 4 weeks...oops). It was horrific, I was terrible, total sweat fest, but I'm glad I went.

I planned to do some weights this weekend with my manfriend but life took over. Friday night we were too tired and hot after sitting out in the sun, Saturday was spent helping my mum with some gardening and then a gentle ramble around Finlaystone Park with tiny human, and Sunday manfriend was bowling so I was stuck with tiny human and we pretty much ate and watched films plus had a little run around in the park. Nothing strenuous and my fitness instructor let me down ;)

This week I am going to try and make amends, hopefully if my gym bunny buddy can book us in we've got two classes lined up this week, plus my pole classes are being replaced by four weeks of pole workshops (tres excited and also a tiny bit afraid) I have a feeling I'm going to be hurting after that!

I also hit the local supermarket today at the perfect time for discounted meat, got very lean mince, fish and turkey breasts all reduced. I have a kinda half day tomorrow (working from home) so once the carpet fitters are finished I'm going to prep some food. Money is kinda tight this month (because of the same carpet fitters and an impromptu trip to the in-laws this weekend) so I'm going to really have to watch the pennies.

Also my brother and I have a pact to stop smoking together tomorrow - he's a kid on smoker (social smoker) but we've agreed to stop together. Forfeits if we cheat:
1. First offence - the other person names three things they know you like and you can't have them for a week.
2. Second offence - you are a personal slave for 2 weeks to the other person.
3. Third and final offence - you get told on to mum and dad! ECK! No, kidding, a double hit of both the above for 2 months.

For all cheat cigarettes ~£1 has to be donated to a charity of the other persons choice.

And we HAVE to be totally, 100% honest with each other, no punishments, bad feelings, or guilt trips - just an acceptance that your sibling has let you down, a gentle shake of the head

"I'm not angry...I'm just disappointed", and let the forfeit begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment