About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Saturday, 31 December 2011

Should auld acquaintance be forgot?


As a proud Scottish women new year wouldn't be complete with a drunken circle of people with crisscrossed hands singing our national poet's famous poem: Auld Lang Syne.


Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne?


Hogmany, New Year, was traditionally a bigger holiday in Scotland than even Christmas! My Grandparents and parents tell me that when they were young everyone would open their front doors at midnight and literally streets of people would wander to and from their neighbours' houses, "first-footing" with a bottle of plonk to pass round. (See alcohol is my heritage - I knew it wasn't my fault).


These days we hardly know our neighbours, and certainly don't like them enough to give them booze (bloomin' tax on alcohol)


And for a long time I always worked New Year - so I was never really that bothered about it. This year I'm off and going to my best friends house for a party. My parents are going to a dinner/dance and my brother is off to his mates to, and I quote; "get absolutely smashed" (heritage!!)


I am looking for to the party - namely because I have a beautiful slinky dress which I totally rock! (its a size 12 ECK!!)


And also because I am looking forward to putting 2011 behind me.


Broken relationships, the loss of family members, financial problems, general pi$$ ups....


Don't get me wrong - there has been some incredible highs: Graduation, Getting my Job, finding new friends, THAILAND, moving out, sparks of romance....


I've learned a lot this year - about myself I mean. I can be totally selfish sometimes, despite also being generous. I am too hard on myself, I analyse things way too much and sometimes I don't think before I open my mouth (or set my fingers wild on a text or facebook post...)


But....I also learned that I am surrounded by some of the most amazing people on the planet, my family and friends, and i am lucky to have every one of them in my life. I've learned to try and relinquish some control over everything, to stop panicking, to stop and breathe and just enjoy the here and now. 


I want 2011 behind me, not because it was the worst year of my life, but because it was a significant year of change and I am excited to see what new lessons and adventures and friendships and experiences 2012 will bring!


So in the wise words of Mr Burns: 


And there's a hand, my trusty fiere!
and gie's a hand o' thine,
and we'll tak a right gude-willy waught,
for auld lang syne.

Good luck for 2012 and I look forward to talking to you all soon!


Happy New Year to all!! xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment