About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Tis the Season to be Jolly....

....and after the week I've had and weighing in as STAYING THE SAME I am one jolly person!!

You may have guessed that I am feeling a little better today :D Between the hot water and honey, the MAX strength beechams, an early finish from work and Tim Burtons Alice and Wonderland I believe I am cured!!

oh and the ice cream....for medicinal purposes...the sore throat....honest!

annnnnd it is getting so super close to Christmas I am just getting so super excited it is unbelievable! TBH its not the food and drink which gets me all in a tizzy, but this is the 1st year in over 5 years that I will be off my work on both Christmas, New Year and the time in between! In my old job people still required you to assist them, Christmas doesn't mean someone can miraculously walk or get their own clothes on if they couldn't do it before. And don't get me wrong people still need social workers over Christmas - it can be a painful and depressing time of year for many.

but...I am just a baby social worker....which means I am NOT ALLOWED to do duty over the festive period. Next year I probably won't be so lucky SO I am happy to take advantage of my new job situation and enjoy my holiday.

More than anything else I am looking forward to spending time with friends and family this year. Living apart from them, so far away, has really hit home to me how much I love the people in my life. So although I am happily making Christmas puddings, cheesecake and other festive treats, I'm not too fussed about eating them, its who I am eating them with that is going to make all my Christmas wishes come true :D




No comments:

Post a Comment