About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Injury Time

I haven’t been blogging this week, because I haven’t been exercising. I pulled a muscle in my thigh last Wednesday (getting out of the car of all things...I mean if you’re going to have an injury make it heroic in nature!) I’ve been in a lot of pain, hobbling about, so I had to cancel my classes. 
Plus I had quite an active social life this week: Kings of Leon concert Thursday, Cocktails with the girls Saturday, Saturday with tiny human, Date night with manfriend and then away to Johnston for tiny human’s birthday treat. 

In short, I’ve eaten, and drank, quite a lot: which I am paying for in both my gastro system (yep! This blog is nothing if not honest) and in my skin. So it’s back to litres of water, and a healthy diet today. 

But who really cares, sometimes there are times in life where exercise doesn’t come first. Going to see one of my favourite bands live is one of them, feeling so proud as tiny human rode her first horse and was so spectacularly brave she wants to go back next is definitely another, spending time with almost all of my SITC girls is guaranteed to be on that list, as is alone time with the manfriend. 
My exercise regime fits around my life, not the other way round.

Maybe that means I won’t get the results as fast, maybe it means I’ll still wear these jeans until Christmas. Bottom line is balance, it is all about balance, and there is no point in working hard, exercising harder and having no fun. As they say – moderation is the key. 

No unhealthy plans this weekend – I am however getting a haircut. New Job, New Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment