About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Sunday, 4 August 2013

Lifting like a Beast and Dropping Jean Sizes!

Well another week has passed and I weighed in slightly heavier than last week (about 10oz). At first I was taken aback, but then I look back at this week and remember all the great things that I've done!

Again I've eat fairly well, it's the week before payday so pickings have been a bit slim at times haha! But I did my spin class, I did two hours of pole with the LEGEND that is Leigh-Ann Reily of BeSpun, and this weekend I trained like a beast with the manfriend.

I also tried on 3 pairs of my old jeans - and they FIT!! Woooo!!!

I lifted! Like reeeeally lifted! There were no tears this week. I kept the weights reasonably low, achieving the full number of reps, which made me feel amazing!! I figured best to start a little low (where it is still challenging but not bursting into tears stuff like last weekend) and build up! Here's what I did!

Saturday - early morning swim with manfriend and tiny human - her swimming is coming on amazing, she's doing more and more without her arm bands on, and it's amazing to see her progress every week! So although I did go swimming, I only did a few lengths, it was more to let the tiny human swim, but I figured it's still an hour and half moving through water.

Then we lifted!! Me and the manfriend! All of my rep sets were the same format: 20 x 10kgs, 12 x 15kg, 6 x 20kg, 12 x 15kg, 20 x 10kgs. - little rest between sets, few mins between exercises.

Saturday - Legs and Arms - I did squats (pictured) and then deadlifts. For arms we did tricep kickbacks and then bicep curls. Then rotated a medicine ball to work the obliques and finished off with 1 minute plank.

Sunday - Chest, Shoulders and Abs - Bent Over Rows, Bench Press (pictured) and 20 shoulder lifts. Then I did 9 1/2 press ups (my last one didn't count!!). Followed by 8mins abdominal work with the kettlebells.

After which manfriend and I took tiny human swimming again for another hour.

Manfriend is in quite a bit of pain, and my legs are absolutely aching (so is my glutes!!). Manfriend felt that we did too much, but I really enjoyed myself. Maybe because I didn't lift as much as what he did. He called me a beast! He was proud - and that felt great!

I replied: Work like a Beast, Look like a Beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment