About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Monday, 26 August 2013

Snatch and Grab! Physio! ToughMudder!

 
Tried a new free weights exercise. Snatch and Grab! Works the legs, gluts, core, shoulders, and all the arms. Really good exercise! I've posted a wee video. http://youtu.be/vss7SfrD2ms Couldn't get it to upload direct on the blog...sorry!!

It's quite good videoing yourself, straight away I can see I probably bend too much in the back and don't squat enough, so I'll work on my technique next week when I do it again! Feel free to comment if there is anything else you see which you think needs improved.

Although, I also finally went to the physiotherapist today for my feet, which have caused me problems with running. What an experience that was! Apparently I use my toes to walk, by lifting them and guiding my foot. I have tight tendons all along the tops of my feet, over developed muscles in the balls of my feet, and tight ankles, which restrains my movements and puts pressure on my legs. When I walk I lift my toes, and concentrate my weight on the side and front of my foot. That's how I've adapted to my feet shape, but also what is causing the pains in my legs.

My (extremely good looking) physio told me that he's never seen anything like it, and it's going to be a slow process for my rehab, basically I'm going to have to relearn how to walk. So I've some exercises to do for the next fortnight before my next appointment. Including lunges (my favourite! NOT!!)

In other exciting news I've been inspired to preregister for TOUGH MUDDER 2014. Its a 10-12 mile run with obstacles, electric shocks, fire and of course...lots of mud!! I though it would be something fun to aim for next year, so far a couple of the pole girlies and the manfriend have said they are up for it, so I really need to start getting back into my running.

If you fancy joining me and my rowdy crew in 2014 then you can preregister here. We'll form a wee team. It will be the toughest, and funnest, day ever! I can pretty much guarantee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment