About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Thursday, 8 August 2013

Its all about the newness!

Today has been a day all about newness!

First of all, in non-weight related gossip, I finally got my start date for my new job - 4 weeks on Monday I'll officially be a social worker with Renfrewshire council. I cannot wait to get home, to be with my family and friends again, and be back in familiar territory.

In other (more blog relevant) news, I tried two new things today.

The first thing was metafit - a new fitness class! It was half an hour of intense interval training. We did three back to back high impact bodyweight exercises for forty seconds and then twenty seconds rest. First lot was legs, then arms, back to legs, arms and on it went! I was sweating buckets by the end, but totally buzzing! It worked my whole body, worked it hard, and apparently my metabolic rate runs high for twenty four hours afterwards! Result!! Totally loved it!! Cannot wait to go again!

Metafit = Metafab!


Photo: My first smoothie with veggies! Added a handful of mixed leaves including spinach and kale! Actually can't taste it at all!!! #pleasentlysurprised #diet #healthytreats #eatclean #proteinshake
Unfortunately my gym bunny buddy did not enjoy it as much, as a lot of arm work involves tension on the wrists and one of hers is dodgy! She's willing to give it another go, but I think I'll be a metafitter for life!

The second new thing I tried was veggies in my shake. I make protein shakes after workouts, they aid muscle regeneration and reduce pain. As a lover of instagram lots of people make protein shakes with veggies, but I've never been keen. Today I put a handful of green leaves in my shake - kale, spinach and other stuffs. I actually couldn't taste it and my smoothie was just as good!!

So today was a good day - tomorrow is a rest day...and for that I will be celebrating with a drink with my gym bunny buddy! It'll be a toast - to surviving duty for another week, for hitting it hard this week, and for celebrating the newness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment