About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Monday, 5 August 2013

Motivation?!

I've become proper, like proper addicted to Instagram! I use facebook mainly for social stuff, and I've kind of went off twitter as I find it too tedious, but Instagram has very quickly become the place where I can let the health and fitness side of me totally rock out! I post pictures of meals, shakes, exercises, motivational cards and I'm talking every day! I also follow almost only fitness and health posts, which means Instagram has become my instant one stop shop for a major motivation boost!

Today I uploaded the picture of my trousers - these trousers didn't fit me a few weeks back, and now they do - this excited me (obviously) so I posted the pic. Someone from work who is also on Instragram commented "gee me some of your motivation!"

This made me think...I'm always looking for motivation, I've created motivation through my Instagram feeds. I also created my own motivation at home. As well as putting together "fat photos!" with motivational slogans to keep me fingers out of the cookie jar! But when my friend asked me to give her some of my motivation...I really struggled!

How do people motivate others? How am I actually motivated?

I've thought about this before and I know that visual ques are important for me, which is why I decided to put up the photos, and why I find sites such as Instagram so invaluable to my weight loss. Most of these sites are people who are fit - pics of their bodies, pics of their tips, pics of their transformations.

Blogging is another, I find it a really good way to let off steam and celebrate my victories. I noticed that my quantity of blogs certainly drop during the times where I am not being terribly good - and that is something I need to change. But I suppose what is more important is that I always come back, I always admit my faults, and I always start again. What I can't be bothered doing is starting again anymore. This time feels different, it feels like life...

So I think that the best thing to motivate others is to do the best that I can, be a success story, keep posting the photos and the tips, keep learning. One day maybe someone will put their face on my body, because that would be the ultimate motivation!

No comments:

Post a Comment