About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Tuesday, 22 November 2011

5 things I like about me! (Plus a little about my week)

Sorry guys!!

This week as many of you know i moved! Its a part time baby step to independence which sees me living with my aunt and uncle in deepest darkest countryside for my new job as a social worker.

And although I am home for the weekends its been quite emotional. I've started somewhere new and not had my Mum and Dad there at night! A lot of change for me - and as I didn't have my computer or WW stuff the diet went out the window!

However, one of the first things I did was find out where my nearest class was and got weighed in on Wednesday (+ 1/2lb which I was mega happy with) so I am officially in the Coylton class on a Wednesday evening and the leader seems lovely.

One of my difficulties in my new home is that everything in this house is full fat - so I am going shopping on Sunday and bringing lots of stuff with me. If I can control BRK and L as much as possible then I should be able to absorb the dinner somewhat! Well I can't be rude and start asking my aunt and uncle to change things or weigh things, my dinner is on the table when I get home - what can be better than that! So I am just trying to keep my portion sizes under control!

On the positive side I now do a Mon-Fri 9-5 so have much better routine to eating than before (split shifts = nightmare!!) and I have noticed I haven't snacked nearly as much as I usually do!

Anyways I just wanted to let you all know that I am doing well and will be back to tracking this weekend and week as my computer is coming with me on Sunday (WOOHOO). So I will be able to keep better updated with you all!

So.... 5 things I like about me....this is easy ;-)

1. The people in my life! I have blessed to have some of the most beautiful, smart, funny, caring, generous, straight talking, sexy, intelligent, fun and fabulous people ever in my life. Not only that, but they are my close friends and family! So obviously I must be doing something right to attract all these people too me! (see photo)

2. My legs! I have amazing legs! Dancers legs! They have never gotten fat - even when the rest of me did! and the look stella with a bit of the old fake bake and some sky scrapper heels on!!

3. My desire to help others! My parents are generous and donate to charities etc, and my mum works in social care in a way. But I have an inherent desire and core belief that my position in life is so privilaged that it is my social and moral obligation to use my time/money and talents to assist others in this world. I became a social worker because I believe that the systems in our society - welfare, education, employment, do NOT favour the masses and create cycles of poverty and deprivation that trap people. I became a social worker because I know that things happen in life and some people cannot cope with these things. But I was ABLE to become a social worker because I was lucky by birth, because I am a white, middle class female who's parents were able to support her to stay in education long enough to get the qualifications needed to do this job! Bottom line however, is that I want to help people, and that is all me!

4. My sense of humour! I laugh at almost everything - I am not terribly funny myself, I always seem to get the timing wrong.....like now! But I find lots of things funny and that always gives the wannabe comic an ego boost! Spread the love people!!

and finally 5. I am dependable! Just ask any of my friends! If I can I will, and I'll do it on time and looking fabulous!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment