About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Sunday Morning Maddness.....but hangover free!

Hey y'all!

First of all apologies for the moaning, groaning, my-world-is-ending blog post the other day!! Half a pound is half a pound after all! And as my Mum forceably reminded me last week - its only half a pound since joining WW online, what about the 12 and a half pounds you lost before it!!

Truth be told I am feeling much better. Took a big decision this week to have an alochol free weekend. To be the fair it wasn't so much a decision as lack of alternative options due to funds being so low. But I still went out, took the car, saw a live band Friday and went to a party Saturday! Had a rather good weekend for it as well!!

And to be hangover free today! Well to be honest I can't remember the last time that has happened to me despite being out the nights before. And what a difference to my weekly propoints - its Sunday and I have some left!?! What???

So I have given it a lot of thought and I am going to follow this plan religiously until Christmas. Its not going to be easy - my calender for every weekend leading up to the festive holiday (and a good few weekends after) is looking pretty full! But you know what, I have to give myself an honest chance! I want my stone off for Xmas and I am worth the effort! I have to believe that!!

And do you know what - I haven't worked this hard all year to almost get to a stone and then put it all back on in a 4 week period. So I have decided that by sticking to the plan I will hopefully be able to maintain (or dare I sawy lose) over the period.

I can see a few more alcohol free weekends ahead....and do you know what - doesn't bother me at all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment