About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Wednesday - A little midweek Reflection perhaps?

There is something wrong with me today; not sure what - but I feel like I've been dragging myself, and another 5 stone, around with me all day.

My thyroid means sometimes I get really lethargic. Like my brain is active but I have literally no energy to physically move. Even keeping me eyes open can be a struggle - I could literally go for a nap right now, but I know it won't make me feel better,

I am getting apprehensive about the new job as well. I'm worried about being alone (especially in the evenings) because I don't want to start heading to the fridge every night. I'm worried about changing jobs, as I am going from a semi-physical job to an office based one - between less exercise and the abundance of cakes, sweets and other munchie crunchie opportunities I can see a ballonning in the future.

And worst of all I won't have my wee class there to support me :(

Today I stayed within my allowance, and went to Zumba. I've also looked up classes in my new home town and will be joining the nearest one next Tuesday.

Yet I still feel down.
I choose this picture because I remember being disgusted at the size of my resultant snow angel last year. If it snows again this year (and apparently it most definitely will be) then I am going to take another photo and hopefully find myself with a much skinnier snow angel this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment