About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Positive Mental Attitude!

Weighed in today - lost 1lb! Just 21 to go till goal! woohoo!

However - I have now been reduced to a mere 27 PPs! WTF!?

However - like I said yesterday this is all about positive mental attitude - so today's topic is going to be:

Living away from home/in the deepest darkest country.

Reason for negativity: I was hoping to start running but its way too dark and I live on the A70 (literally) and there is no pavement AND i live with my aunt and uncle and am not yet at the stage where I feel comfortable Wii-ing (heehee) in front of them!

Right, time to turn this around - good things about moving and living here!

1 - my aunt and uncle are both thin, probably due in great effort to their tiny portions - which i have realised actually fill me up as well, and therefore are probably closer to normal portions that what I am used to! (Mums fault - its always Mums fault!!) So that is obviously going to help!

2 - I am just making excuses (already paying for a gym membership, too dark too run) so I have inquired and found a local zumba class on a Monday night, and that there is a small gym equipment room that I can hire out for an hour, so I am going to start doing that once a week, on top of my weekend exercise (when I bloomin' go)

3- I can choose (for the most part) what I want to eat. Although my uncle usually makes dinner I am responsible for buying my own snacks, lunches and breakfasts, so by keeping them low I can hopefully absorb my uncles (untrackable) meals!

So, that is that - moving away is a good thing for my weight loss because it has forced me to take account of my own eating and exercise in new ways!

oh wait:

4- living in the middle of NOWHERE means no McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut or Chinese (yip - I'm not lying, closest Chinese is in Cumnock - bout 30mins drive from here) There is a chip shop and kebab/chilli place in Coylton, that's about 20mins away! Not worth the detour! I haven't tried anything from a take away here yet, so I have no taste for anything! So I don't bother!!

but still 27 points man :S

No comments:

Post a Comment