About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Saturday, 19 January 2013

Cooking and Moving with my Pot Noodle family!


So this weekend the serenity of my flat was shattered by the invasion of my little family: the manfriend (aka other half, too old to be called boyfriend hence manfriend) and the tiny human (aka manfriends daughter [obviously, we didn't just steal a random 3 year old to hang out with now and again!], 3 years old).

Now the time since tiny human came into my life has involved a lot of change, some tears, but a lot more laughter. It's been hard, and if it wasn't for the amazing attitude of manfriend it would have been a fail. We've come a long way, but here we are, a wee pot noodle (instant) family who are chugging along the only way we know how!

So anyway, this change in my life is partially responsible for lax in healthy eating regime. I don't blame them, I have no one to blame but myself, but as the new weight watchers ethos states:
"Willpower enough is not alone!"
 
 
So as I am dragged into burger kings, chocolate always on hand in the fridge, and dropping the pace to accommodate wee legs, my weight (which was always creeping up anyway) was given a helping hand along the way.
 
Part of this is my fear/inability to cook, so easy made pasta meals and takeaways etc was a stable for tiny human and me. Don't get me wrong tiny human eats TONS of fruit, and has veg with every meal, she eats almost everything and I would never feel happy if she hadn't had some fruit and vig every day!! Funny how you are so strict on the tiny people, but completely ignore your own bodies needs!
 
Part of my resolution is to try and make at least one new meal a week, and although the main aim of this is to help me stay on track, another nice consequence is that I can learn to cook to keep my wee family happy!
 
Plus we are trying to find ways to maintain activity when tiny human is around. Last weekend we went bowling, and in between bowls danced to the music that was blaring (somehow bowling halls have taken on a nightclub ethos at 11.30am on a Sunday!). This weekend we went swimming, and spent an hour there, even at low activity this is an easy 3aps made!
 
My activity total is 16 already, 2 more than I got all of last week!!
 
So tiny human is napping (after boiled eggs and seeded toast for lunch), manfriend is watching super sport saturday and I am on the couch; achy, content, stuffed and looking forward to making paella for dinner tonight!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment