About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Monday, 7 January 2013

Getting ready for my first weigh in!

So I start weight watchers tomorrow...ECK! I am actually dreading my weigh in - got a funny feeling I am going to be right back at square one!

However, I have an edge this time - I know what to expect. Which means I have been able to get a little bit more organised! Yesterday and today I have been a slave to the stove and cooking my wee heart out!

After hitting Aldi for the fruit and veg, and devouring all left over chocolate over the weekend, I have been pre-cooking as much as possible. One of my downfalls is I have my lunch quite early, around 12.30, which means by 5.40 when I get home (on a good day) I am usually starving!

So I am going to make sure I take more fruit to work to snack on around 4pm-ish. I have a bad habit when making my dinner of snacking at the same time, because I am so hungry. By Pre-cooking as much as possible it means my dinner will be quicker, which will also stop me snacking.

So yesterday I made a gorgeous 0pro-point vegetable soup, for lunches and if I get a notion for something! In addition I've made turkey chilli with turkey mince, chilli flavoured kidney beans and chopped tomatoes - dead simple and low in points too! I also cooked 6 chicken breasts, I eat a lot of chicken with different sauces or sides, so having them ready to go, just plain oven cooked, means I just need to reheat along with what i am having them with and vola! one dinner!!

I've also attempted to make some deserts, because I do have a chronic sweet tooth! Inspired by Jamie's 30minute meals I was half watching (probably whilst dying with a hangover) I threw together some frozen yogurt. I literally threw frozen fruit in with greek style yogurt into my smoothie maker and stuck it in the freezer. No sugar, or sweetener, just real fruit and low fat yogurt!

Long may this organisation continue!

Will let you all know how weigh in goes tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment