About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Monday, 14 January 2013

Making an appointment with myself

I am twitter fan (@crazechickadee if you want to follow) and on twitter I follow a whole manner of weird and silly twitter feeds...including a variety of women's health and fitness, motivation quotes etc etc.

So anyway, one of these random tweeters (women's motivation I think) said when planning exercise make an appointment with yourself, and keep it.

It makes sense really, we make appointments at work to see people, meetings etc, we make appointments with doctors, dentists, hairdressers, beauty therapists that we promise to keep, rarely miss! We make appointments to meet friends for lunch, to visit family for dinner, to be with others at the time that suits.

So when I saw this tweet I thought "this really makes sense" (my manfriend was particularly impressed by it!).

So instead of saying "I'll try make the gym on Monday", or "I'll exercise 3 times this week", I am going to try changing the way I look at this instead.

Now I make an appointment with myself. I put it (in pen) in my diary - Tuesday 1pm Swim with Sarah Conway, Thursday 7pm Bokwa with Sarah and Tracey, Monday 11.00am Kettlebells dvd - 20mins - with Sarah Conway.

Obviously this looks a bit crazy to anyone reading with diary - but it makes a bigger impression that just putting swim 1pm. By putting my name against it I view it the way I would view a meeting or home visit with any of my clients, or colleagues, or friend, or family. I put myself on the same level of importance as all these other people. Me, and my exercise, is as important as anything else in my life.

By forward planning my exercise over the week, or even a month, I can schedule my other appointments around it, rather than exercise around my life. My clients don't know that the reason I have to meet them at 2 is because I have a swim at 1... and they don't need to know.

So my diary is organised, my exercise is planned, as is my meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment