About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Organised Chaos

This week our task from Christine was to plan our week ahead. Which I have done to the best of my ability. All of my breakfasts and lunches were pretty straight forward, its either oatabix or porridge in the morning, with some fruit. Lunch is my 0pp soup (basically veg and water) plus either a sandwich, salad or a warp, plus lots of fruit and occasionally a yogurt if I am still hungry.

Dinner is my problematic meal of the day, I am always starving at night by the time I come home from work. I hate cooking, mainly because I cannot cook, and I need my dinner there and then. I knew I was starting weightwatchers this week, so I decided to be proactive and get organised on the Sunday before hand. Sunday is really the only day I have which I have the time and notion to cook anything, so I decided to batch cook as much as I could and freeze it all.

So that's what I did. I made 2 portions of turkey mine chilli, cooked 6 chicken breasts and made a big pot of vegetable soup. Tonight I had 2 chicken breasts with couscous and jerk chicken sauce, easy and filling, in fact I couldn't finish it. Tonight I also made a second batch of soup, as I had 4 big tomatoes that were bin bound if I didn't use them. I also made up 9 portions of sugar free jelly, 0pps and great when I am looking for a wee something something after my dinner (or any time really).

Yes its only day 1 - but its about celebrating small victories. Using the time I have productively and making as much healthy food as possible means that I am changing my environment. If I have good food available to me, I'll eat it. If not, I won't and will pick something quick, easy and most likely full of fat.

So for tonight my plan is to have a wee buff and shine night, mani - pedi and all the rest of it. I'll feel better for it tomorrow, and more importantly it'll keep me away from the biscuit tin!

No comments:

Post a Comment