About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Thursday, 5 January 2012

5 WHOLE points!?!

Ok, so the new back-to-basics approach that I have adopted - assisted by the bakers boycott we are having at work (the tray bakes in that place are un-fucking-believable) means that I have been super good the last 2 days.

Remember all that moaning I did about only having 27pps a day and not being about to keep any for nights out. Well the last 2 days not only have I stayed within my allowance...I've had some leftover. This isn't intention: I believe in the science of WW and I don't believe that eating 20pps will make me skinner than eating 27pps (I'd prob be ill and suffer from malnutrition). I've just been choosing much better that usual, take today for example:

BRK: oats so simple (3pps) and my daily milk allowance (2pps)

LUNCH: Medium portion of home made tuna pasta (7pp)

DINNER: Homemade cottage pie (10pps)

TOTAL: 22PPS!! Leaving me with a whole 5pps and no real inclination to eat anything else (although I have just remembered I have some strawberry cheesecake haggen-daaz in the freezer.....mmmm.....) However, my realisation was how much I moaned and went on about and moaned and (you get the picture) having a whole 2pps less a day! New Year - Fresh Eyes - New Way of Thinking!

Also ran twice this week (forgot my zumba - have to get it from home 1 this weekend) and I've booked in my 3 runs for next week!

Resolutions are looking pretty shiny right now eh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment