About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Monday, 9 January 2012

I'm Alive :)


Barely but I am alive!

Never got weighed in because of falling trees and then after a 3 day working week (some of went back on the Wednesday, cookielou!) I was home again.

I didn't really overindulge with alcohol over Christmas, not by my usual standards anyway... and was really looking forward to a night on the tiles with the girls...esp as I look super hot (see photo...if you've managed to take your eyes off it!).

Esp as I am suffering from the dreaded "session depression"...for all you non drinkers (or non-over-indulgers, non-get-smashed-on-a-regular-basisers and non-binge-drinkers) session depression is the result of a hangover. Combined with the knowledge that you did crazy mental and downright stupid things the night before.

I am terrible for session depression, namely because I am a terrible drunk :s my friends who have known me a long time put up with crazy Sarah. Because they know deep down I am a loving caring generous person who really does love them and doesn't mean anything she is saying/doing/thinking/splurging/reacting when drunk!

New guy....met crazy Sarah on Saturday night....may have burned my bridges there....(*!0**??#!?!)

So new Monday, **** day but opted for a run rather than a glass of wine :) just read through all your beautiful people's blogs and the positive energy is amazing. Hopefully by tomorrow the last of the homemade moijitos will have left my system and I will perk up.....fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment