About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Out of the Running?

Well a combination of a strained left thigh muscle alongside my annual January flu has meant that my activity points have fallen to the wayside. No zumba, no running, I struggled to walk to the shops today!

My hearings all fuzzy, my throat hurts and my nose is running! I'm telling you, I could track my illnesses, like clockwork!

Today however, in the spirit of little victories, I actually have 2 whole pps left over. The benefits of making up lunch the day before, had an amazing mixed raw veg salad with chicken and sweet chilli sauce! Delish!

Really stressful day at the office today though, so had to sacrifice some points for a small glass of wine tonight (its not even "Wine Wednesday" as Wednesday is affectionately called in our office), but needs must.

Short blog just to explain that I'm off to bed to snuggle up (to my ted - the dates not happened yet, I don't move that fast) watch some TV and die quietly! I have no idea how my WI will go tomorrow, after my disheartening STS last week i've been pretty demotivated this week, haven't reeeally watched what I've been eating!

But I have done a lot of thinking, I've thought about all the time I didn't stick to a diet, all the times I have came back to WeightWatchersers or SlimingWorld or ScottishSlimmers or EnterPostiveWeightLossCatchyTitleHere because I've gotten fatter and fatter and unhappier and unhappier! I cannot, in fact i will not, do that to myself again! I've spent too much time, money and energy on this plan and I intend to keep it going! So tomorrow at my class I am going to buy the WWer food scales and really pour a renewed vigor and energy into this plan, regardless of my result tomorrow night! I HAVE to lose 1 stone for Benidorm in May, and I NEED to get more body confident for all these new romances on my horizon and finally, i DESERVE to be happy with myself, and I KNOW that this is what I need to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment