I don't know what it is, I just find Monday's reflective. Possibly because I don't usually blog over the weekend which is when all sort of stuffs happen. By the time Monday's rolled round I've had time to think about things.
So to update you a little of my life. Again only had 1 alcoholic beverage over the weekend (strawberry moijito - one of my 5 a day, thank you very much). Instead of our usual crazy drinking sessions me and the girlies (minus one of my favs JoJo, which I was extremely upset about) headed out for a very grown up evening which involved dinner in a good restaurant (TonyRomas, if you haven't tried it you MUST GO!) and then coffee and gossip back at the delightful hostess and glamorous taxi driver Jennys! Well, when I say grown up, the 4 of us sat and completely ripped everyone around us apart, and men, and other people who weren't present, general rant and b-i-t-c-h session, t'was fabulous and exactly what I needed!
Dinner was awesome, Tony Romas is actually great for any WW because you order everything separate. So you choose chicken, steak or seafood (they do pastas and burgers n stuff too) then your sides. I had corn on the cob (and chips) but if I wanted to be really good I could have had 2 veggies!!
But tbh the real highlight of the weekend was getting out and chatting to the girls. I've been pretty low since my STS (again) last week and having my confidence knocked by some egotistical bar man who thinks he can drop women like hot potatoes whenever he feels like it! I felt fat and unglamorous! Now 2 of my girlies (that were out - JoJo I miss your face!!) have boyfriends, one is living with her man and they have been together a good long while, so really you never hear about him (LOL) whereas my other pal is still in the honeymoon phase, lovestruck, pierced by cupids bow (pass the bucket). The rest of us are single, some looking, some heartbroken and me...well I'm not letting one chef spoil my soup.
(see how I'm working those food puns in there...literately genius!)
So I signed up for online dating, what's the harm eh? I'll try it for a month an if I like it fine, if not fine. Well ladies - I have a wee cheeky date next week, and good looking prospects on a 2nd! Will keep you all informed!!
The thing about the whole weekend though is that I realised how much we (by we I mean ladies, although I am not generalizing I know there are always exceptions and boys feel free to comment because I can't talk for your species) define ourselves by our relationships.
I mean we define ourselves so much - race, colour, religion, sex (now now), occupation, age (and about 10 others that I had to fill in for my online dating "profile" which basically explained what I looked like, beside my photo...) so why is marital status so important. Why do we as women feel it is SO important to be in a relationship, of any kind. I looked round the table at my 3 best friends (JOJO!!!!) and I thought...we are a group of sexy, intelligent and generally all round awesome girls, and we've spent the last hour talking about men....its almost sad.
Then I read this:
I've never been married, but I tell people I'm divorced so they won't think something is wrong with me.
- Elayne Boosler
and I realised that being a single woman....is universal
About Me
- crazechickadee
- I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....
The Beauty Myth
The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.
Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:
Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:
"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

No comments:
Post a Comment