About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Thursday, 19 January 2012

Friday Blog: Movie of my life

I usually really enjoy the Friday theme blog, theme curtsey of ilovechoc1, although I don't really feel in the mood tonight I thought I'd give it a go! So Friday Theme: Movie of your life. Include details such as who plays you, your family, loved ones, and who directs?

My friends will laugh when they see this Friday theme, because one of Sarah's quotes is "my life could be a film". Usually because things happen that you just couldn't make up, I mean nothing extra-ordinary, nothing spectacular or unusual. Just things...and you think to yourself, a camera should follow me for moments like this!

Like the time I plucked up the courage to give my number (sober) to a guy I just met (also sober). Altho he would later mess me about something awful, so I think he shall be played by Hugh Grant. Looks like butter wouldn't melt, but will indefinitely be caught with half a dozen drunk girls at a party! 

Then there is my MENTAL family, my Dad (played by Jack Nicolson - funny yet can also be very serious) who doesn't stop talking, singing or whistling (even when there is nobody else there!) Who's incredible talent for driving my mother (Diane Keaton - classic beauty but doesn't take herself too seriously) to distraction is second to none. Think of the on-screen chemistry they have on Something's Gotta Give and you've got my parents to a T! I might add a mother who loves me more than anything in the world...but still sent me to school with a fractured wrist when I was 8...never forgetting that one!

Then my loveable lump of a big little brother who without I may never have survived my parents as relatively unscathed as what I have! Would have to be Jack Black - nuts, weird sense of humour and a love of rock music...plus some fly moves on the dance floor!

Then of course you have my gorgeous girlies - too many to name - but SATC cast Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kirstin Davis and Cynthia Nixon would definitely be drafted in (although they are NOT a patch on my girlies!!)

And finally, the starring role, the Oscar nomination, the juiciest role in the history of roles (me by the way, in case you were wondering) goes to....

Helena Bohen Carter...or course!!

What's not to love - she's individual, unique, interesting, versatile....

NOTHING like me!

But I would DEFINITELY want Tim Burton to direct the movie of my life...he is my all time favourite director. Apparently Tim and Helena are a package deal, so she's have to play me!

Oh buggar...I'll need Johnny Depp in there too then...He can play my boyfriend (so we may not last to the end of the film...but I'll get to snog him for 3 1/2 years 1st!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment