About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Wednesday, 18 January 2012

The Beauty Myth - Relived! [Edit Blog details] Write a Blog post Weight Watcher Community I NEED you!!!

I am one extremely unhappy weight watcher!!!!

STS.....AGAIN! In fact I just checked my log and I have been the exactly same weight I am right now since.....wait for it.....the 24th of NOVEMBER!

Now, staying the exact same weight over the Christmas period was fabi dab! I was more than happy with that result, "super excited", to quote myself! BUT I ate and I drank and I did noooo exercise over the festive season so really strictly speaking this should have been like week 1 all over again! Don't get me wrong I wasn't looking for a 5,6,7lb loss like some of the new members in our class (way to go girls!) but I thought 2-3lbs off was reasonable. ESP as I tracked, had NO nights out and have went RUNNING 4 TIMES THIS WEEK!

Ok, ok I will now withhold from CAPS, bold and unnecessary !!!!'s.

So wtf is going wrong? Well, today's class topic was about portion control. And tbh that is probably an area where I may have slipped somewhat in recent months. That and maybe not being 100% honest, not deliberately trying to keep points low (lets face it the ONLY person I am kidding is myself...) but genuinely forgetting to add my margarine, or the oil I used to cook!

I have spent £60 since Nov the 24th on membership....to STS, not on your nelly! My first reaction - after I broke down in the community center car park having kept it in for my whole meeting - quit!!! Just throw in the towel and admit defeat. My body wants to be 12st5lbs, why fight it.

Or....fight it? I am a giver upper guys! I am good at lots of things, and I stick at those things. Anything hard, anything that I can't do,...I don't do it! This shouldn't be hard, I'm just following a plan, following steps, why can't I get this into my little podgy head.

Motivation this week..... -4!

But here I am, blogging....hoping against hope that one person on here will say something that will click, will switch on my Edison, give me my eureka moment....

no pressure guys!

1 comment:

  1. Em........... Nope, sorry I have no inspirational words,
    except that I know you are a focused and driven woman and when you set your mind to something it usualy happens, this one thing may be just a little harder for you but I know you and I know you are a fighter and I also know that you will reach that target weight, it may take a wee while but rome wasnt built in a day, right? And look how beautiful that turned out?
    Just saying ;) x

    ReplyDelete