About Me

My photo
I am a contradiction, a thoughtful contradiction. I have thoughts, and I want to share them. I am a blogger....

The Beauty Myth

The Beauty Myth is a nonfiction book by Naomi Wolf which argues that as women have become more powerful in society the standards of physical appearance have also grown.

Wolf believes that "beauty" is a societal construct:

"The more legal and material hindrances women have broken through, the more strictly and heavily and cruelly images of female beauty have come to weigh upon us... during the past decade, women breached the power structure; meanwhile, eating disorders rose exponentially and cosmetic surgery became the fastest-growing specialty... pornography became the main media category, ahead of legitimate films and records combined, and thirty-three thousand American women told researchers that they would rather lose ten to fifteen pounds than achieve any other goal...More women have more money and power and scope and legal recognition than we have ever had before; but in terms of how we feel about ourselves physically, we may actually be worse off than our unliberated grandmothers."

Saturday, 28 January 2012

Pet Peeves! (Friday theme on a Saturday...contraversial)

Having just read the friday themes of my two favourite bloggers, Tom and Cookielou, I was laughing out loud with a tear or two at the crazy things that people find annoying. Especially as I agreed with most of them!

It would easy to list a bunch of weight loss or food peeves. In fact, it would be most appropriate, given that this is a blog about weight loss and eating. But although the phrases "superfood", "superslimmer" and "miracle" are amongst my weight loss/food consumption pet peeves, I've decided to branch out a little and tell you a little more about me, and my pet peeves.

1. LATENESS, I get stressed when I am running late, tardy people are number 1 on my drop kick list. I am not saying I am never late, but its rare.

2. Bottled Water, I do drink it if I'm caught on the hop as I am one of these people who are always thirsty. But not only is the bottled water industry ruining our planet due to the vast quantitied of plastics needed, but it makes me sick to think of the $7billion a year spend on bottled water, when we literally have it on tap, were billions of people do not.

3. Ice Tea. On holiday - maybe. Here...no, its just wrong!

4. People who cut you up at roundabout, I think this is a jusitified pet peeve, as I have been in several near misses as a result. There is a CLEARLY painted lane...stay in the BLOOMIN' lane!!!

5. Reality Television Shows I don't believe this even needs a justification!

6. My women's mags, I still buy them. I state (out loud) every time that I cannot afford anything that's in them. £300 on jeans! I'm trying NOT to spend that on my holiday!!!

and finally

7. Plants They die on me.....every single time :(

No comments:

Post a Comment